Sunday, February 17, 2013

Baked French Toast

I have to give the Mormon Mavens credit for this one. I love this recipe! Although I have made minor modifications.

1 loaf sourdough bread
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter

**I normally make this in my pampered chef baking dish, so I don't need to butter my pan. If you are using a regular pan, spray with pam.

1. Break bread into bite sized pieces and place in pan.
2. In large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon. Pour over bread, ensuring you get all the corners. Place in fridge. (I normally try for overnight, but have done as little as 1 hour.)
3. For the topping, cut butter into small pieces. In a medium bowl mix together butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. I use my pastry blender but a fork would work as well (although Mormon Mavens says to use two knives). Combine until mixture has a small pebble consistency. Store in a ziploc bag in the fridge until ready to bake.
4. Sprinkle topping over bread mixture and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I serve with a little bit of butter and syrup on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment